Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Electronic Portfolios for Whom?

Javier I. Ayala is looking at the literature on e-portfolios and seeing that the current research focuses almost entirely on assessment and meeting curricular outcomes instead of student-centered learning: Electronic Portfolios for Whom?
"To date, administrators and other change agents have capably articulated the importance of electronic portfolios; hence you might infer that the talk is matched with a walk in line with student needs and concerns. I argue that this is far from the case. In fact, much of what passes under the rubric of student needs and concerns in relation to electronic portfolios is nothing more than an attempt to solve curricular issues that have plagued higher education for decades, the least of them being student learning."
Thanks to the FutureMeter at XplanaZine. I keep rediscovering it, thinking how awesome it is, and then forgetting to subscribe -- a reminder from think:lab finally sealed the deal today.

2 comments:

Tony Karrer said...

Hi Jeremy,

I've been looking at similar issues of Personal Learning from the perspective of Learning Professionals in corporate settings. When I look at the stuff happening in the ePortfolio space and/or stuff in Personal Learning, it seems like its similar to what you see from Yahoo (MyWeb + 360). Do you think there's something different there?

I'd be curious to get your take on my post:

eLearning Technology: Personal Learning for Learning Professionals - Using Web 2.0 Tools to Make Reading & Research More Effective

Jeremy said...

Hi Tony, thanks for the comment. I haven't really been paying much attention to Yahoo, but I took a look at 360 tonight and it's impressive. It looks like their tools could easily be adapted for personal learning and network management.

As you've reflected well in your post, it seems likely that it will be unique combinations of tools that help individuals accomplish their goals. As I've said before, I like how a tool like Elgg can be used to pull in data from other tools and even publish out to other tools. That seems to be a solid model, and their implementation has been very good.