Thursday, October 02, 2003

Learning in Fast-Forward

Interesting thread on Slashdot this morning. Since distance-learning students can now get lectures on DVD, they aren't constrained by watching them at real-time speed:
"Since I live in Connecticut, I am taking my lessons on DVD and videocassette with tests, quizzes and helpful advice from TA's online. It didn't take me long to realize how s-l-o-w the whole lecture process was. But with WinDVD4, I started ramping up the speed. It didn't take long to get to 2x normal speed. Other than the lectures taking half the time, I didn't miss anything."
I've heard of the opposite strategy fairly often -- pausing and replaying parts of lectures that require more time -- but this simple idea was new to me. It's like the multimedia equivalent of skimming when you read.

No comments: