Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Custom Feeds for Planning Portfolios

In typically slow fashion, I'm finally figuring out why news search feeds might be worth looking into. Although I didn't get great results out of the Yahoo! version, this one using Google seems to work like a dream. Like all real learning, I had to bump into a need before the tool seemed valuable.

The idea is this: if students created a planning portfolio that contained their interests, plans and results of various activities they had done, couldn't we infer that they might be interested in a few very targeted online resources that related to those interests and plans? So I imagined that I'm in Grade 12 and I'm planning to take biology at Brown University next year. Would this custom feed interest me enough to want to keep coming back to check it occasionally? Maybe, although the "news" aspect of it might be overkill.

No comments: