- The internet is a scary, dangerous place where kids could get hurt
- The computers in my school are broken and useless, and the lab is always booked
- Kids just waste time surfing and getting into trouble on the internet
- The students are more interested in finding their own stuff rather than listening to me
- They could do research using books in the library just as effectively
- This list could go on and on, but you get the point...
Before I gave up in despair, I checked out this list for teachers wanting to do more internet integration: 10 Stages of Web-Use Nirvana. It shows how an ambitious teacher (in an ambitious school) could go from learning to use a search engine to facilitating rich self-directed online learning experiences in a decade or two. Big thinking...I like it.